- Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI), Worcester, MA 2016-2022
- PhD, Bioinformatics & Computational Biology
- Harvey Mudd College (HMC), Claremont, CA 2012-2016
- B.S., Mathematical & Computational Biology (Joint Major)
Bumblebees, Agent-based Modeling, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Video Behavior Classification
My research applies computational modeling techniques to traditional biological problems. Most of my research has focused on using agent-based modeling to study long-term impacts of pesticides and diseases on bumblebee behavior. My more recent work is focused on using deep learning methods to classify videos of bumblebee behavior.
- Ryder Lab (Research Assistant), WPI 2016-Present
- Agent-based modeling in NetLogo to research the impact of memory impairments on bumblebee-plant dynamics.
- Deep-learning methods to improve classification and analysis of behavioral videos of bumblebees.
- Bush Lab (Research Intern), HMC Summer 2015
- Developed algorithms to identify horizontal gene transfer events in bacterial species and implemented them in Python. Utilized Github for project management.
- McFadden Lab (Research Intern), HMC 2014-2015
- Conducted a study of the hybridization of soft corals using Next-Generation Sequencing (RADseq).
- Drewell Lab (Research Intern), HMC Summer 2013
- Designed and implemented a general non-linear parameter estimation algorithm.
- Programmed in C++, utilized OpenMP and XSEDE Blacklight supercomputing resources
- Butte Lab (Research Intern), Stanford Center of Biomedical Informatics Summer 2012
- Determined shared etiological factors of six autoimmune diseases using meta-analysis techniques on publicly available microarray data.
- Modeling scale up of anthropogenic impacts from individual pollinator behavior to pollination systems (2021)
- RJ Gegear*, K Heath*, EF Ryder, – Conservation Biology
- Using COVID-19 as a teaching tool in a time of remote learning: A workflow for bioinformatic approaches to identifying candidates for therapeutic and vaccine development (2020)
- S Bryce, K Heath, L Issi, EF Ryder, RP Rao, – Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education 48:492–498
- Experimental Test-Bed for Bumblebee-Inspired Channel Selection in an Ad-Hoc Network (2018)
- KS. Gill,…, K. Heath, RJ. Gegear, EF. Ryder, and AM. Wyglinski. – 2018 IEEE 88th VTC Fall, 1-5
- On the Capacity Bounds for Bumblebee-Inspired Connected Vehicle Networks via Queuing Theory (2018)
- KS. Gill, K. Heath, RJ. Gegear, EF. Ryder, and AM. Wyglinski – 2018 IEEE 87th VTC Spring, 1–6
- Memory Matters: Bumblebee Behavioral Models for Vehicle-to-Vehicle Communications (2018)
- KS. Gill, B. Aygun, K. Heath, RJ. Gegear, EF. Ryder, and AM. Wyglinski – IEEE Access 6: 25437–47
- xenoGI: reconstructing the history of genomic island insertions in clades of closely related bacteria (2018)
- EC. Bush,…, K. Heath – BMC Bioinformatics 19 (1): 32
Programming and Analysis: Python, Pytorch, Java, R, Processing, MATLAB, NetLogo, Hadoop
Software & Tools: Clustal Omega, UCSF Chimera, Adobe InDesign
Awards and Honors
Circular Economy and Data Analytics Engineering Research (CEDAR) for Sustainability Center Trainee